Wednesday 13 July 2016

Saskatchewan Part 1

My drive was boring. My first day I manged to miss the storm completely by taking the truck route through Northern Ontario. Stretches of this drive were beautiful but for the most part I just saw a lot of rocks and trees. My first stop was in the town of Nipigon after an 18 hour stretch of driving. I sent my aunt a text to let her know I was OK.

I'm in Nipigon. 

                                        Glad to hear! Mark just asked where Nippy had gone too. Love you! xoxo

LOL Love you too!

Mark was my youngest cousin and the funniest. I was going to miss him so much. That text alone almost had me turning back. But I knew that I needed to push myself on.

The drive thru the remainder of Ontario and into Manitoba was extremely uneventful. I found myself having to change the radio station. I was starting to get bored with country music. I needed to do one more stop in Manitoba just outside of Brandon. My first day had drained my energy. I manged to find a cute bed and breakfast for the night.

The B&B was fantastic and really quaint. I was the only guest for the night. The owner and I got along famously, after she realized that I too was a horse lover. I was introduced to all of her fur babies and was even offered to go for a ride the next day. Unfortunately I needed to keep a pretty tight schedule if I wanted to stop and see my Uncle in Saskatchewan.

Bright and early the next morning I was on the road. The weather was starting to take a turn. The wind was so strong my poor Jeep was almost blown off the road a few times. By the time I made it to Uncle Sam's I was exhausted. I had only planned on stopping in for a quick visit and getting on my way, but my uncles wife talked me into staying the night.

After a nap I awoke to news that it was my uncles night to cook, so that meant going to the local pub for wings and beer (exactly my kind of meal). Uncle Sam sent me down with the order for everyone as he had to make a quick pit stop along the way. Upon entering the pub I immediately met with stares, my uncle lives in small town Saskatchewan, and it caused me to feel really uncomfortable. The bartender was the first to approach me.

"Hey Josie. You are Josie right? Sam has told me so much about you"

"Yea I'm Josie" I laughed, "Hopefully he has only told you the good things!"

"Only good I promise. I'm sure you've had a long drive, are you wanting a Rye, Gin or some good old Pilsner?"

"I see Uncle has already told you my favorites. A rye and coke please and thanks."

"Sam brags about how you like all the same things as him.... Well except Caesars, your Uncle loves his Caesars."

"Ugh please never set a Caesar in front of me."

"Tonight is Sam's night to cook, I know what him and Ruth get.  I just need to know what you want."

"Just some wings, in your BBQ sauce please!"

Within the next few minutes Uncle showed up. We ate dinner and laughed with some family friends. Everyone had heard all of the really embarrassing stories of me when I was a baby. Some I had apparently even met when I was younger when my cousin got married. This is probably when I should mention my parents decided after my older sisters were grown up and moved out they wanted more. I have a sister that is 24 years older, 20 years older and then my younger sister who is a year younger. Most of my first cousins are married and have kids, Minus my Aunt Sandy and Uncle Gavin's kids.

Uncle Sam and Aunt Ruth eventually left, but I decided to stay mostly because I was starting to feel my Rye's and wasn't ready to end the party yet. Eventually in walked Tanner. I'd heard bits and pieces about him all night since he and I were the same age and I knew enough to know he was a hockey player (crushing on the hockey players is such a Canadian thing, sorry guys). I knew right away he was my type. Tanner walked over grabbed my sunglasses and said "Is it too bright in here or what?"

I couldn't hold my sass back, as much as I tried.

"It was until you walked in"

"So I guess you're Josie."

"And I guess you're Tanner."

This was when I knew I had found trouble in Saskatchewan. Or was it that trouble had found me?




4 comments:

  1. Which small Saskatchewan town? I'm a sasky girl! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll just say it's within an hour of Stoon 😉

      Delete
  2. I love this!! I can totally relate to the hockey player thing too..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hockey players and ball players. I swear it's a Canadian thing.

      Delete