Tuesday 12 July 2016

My Hometown

Before I get to into my story there is one thing I have to tell you. My hometown is seriously beautiful. I'm not even joking. I grew up in Cottage Country in Ontario, need I say more? I wasn't far from a fantastic beach and even closer to ski village.

Coming from a lake community I am used to something always happening and always, I really do mean always, being outside rain, shine or even snow. People joke that you can go from skiing in the morning to going for a round of golf in the afternoon. My journey took me to Alberta, to an oilfield town to be specific. Some of you probably think that Alberta is beautiful and you know what your right. Parts of Alberta are breathtaking. But I must tell you if you plan to visit please do not stop in an oilfield town, you will be extremely disappointed, and you also may loose all hope in humanity. 

Now don't get me wrong there are some great parts about living in an oilfield town and I have honestly met some great people. But compared to Banff, Jasper, Calgary, any part of BC and Cottage Country its a huge disappointment. When people find out where I am from they can't believe I left, and they always question why I won't move back. Through my story you'll understand why I can go back to visit but that I can never go back to live there permanently no matter how badly I want too. 


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remember back when I thought my town was so large. I thought there was no greater place on earth. I am as my aunt calls me a "sun baby". I will spend as much time as possible out tanning and reading a book, swimming in the lake, or playing with the animals. Although when I say that it makes me sound like I'm pretty boring, but I have a wild side. I am the wild child in my family, also the klutz. Wherever there is a party or trouble you could always count on me to be there and you could pretty much guarantee there would be some crazy story about what I did, or how I hurt myself this time. I was known for holding my own and not backing down from anything. I could drink most people under the table, not exactly something I'm proud of but it was just the way I was. 

My family thought that when I met Jeremy that I had finally started to settle down. As with any small town I met Jeremy while we were in High School. It was when we were 17, I know in a small town we should have met before that but my parents sent me to a private school for a while in hopes of gaining more control over me. I rebelled hard against my parents when I was younger. They starting treating me like the problem child so I became one, if the shoe fits why not wear it?

I don't remember everything from when we met as I had a boyfriend at the time. But what I can tell you is that it didn't take Jeremy long to convince me to leave said boyfriend to be with him. Soon I was riding around in his pick up truck and meeting his family. Jeremy was the male version of me. Full of crude jokes and sassiness, not sure if I can call it sassiness when applying it to him but whatever. Things were great, so great in fact that I took a year off from my university plans because he convinced me that saving money would be a better plan. I didn't realize until it was too late that really he had other plans for that. 

My Mom and Dad loved Jeremy, more than they had ever loved me. My siblings were all even the same way. When my cousins piped up about their concerns my parents always defended Jer to no end, and usually ended up pinning it on me. I never gave anything a second thought. My parents always hated me, it was just how things were and Jer and I were happy. I was happy with myself and my life for the first time that I could remember. 

During my year off my career path changed. I made the decision to stay in Agriculture rather than do Premed like I had planned. There are very few places in Ontario you can study agriculture, but I made the decision to do a two year program rather than a full four years under pressure from Jeremy.  I am stubborn as a mule and was going to go to no matter what was said, but I at least compromised or so I thought. When I went to University finally, things changed and they changed for the worst. 


2 comments:

  1. alberta reader here (Calgary) - excited to see where your story goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Calgary is my favorite Alberta city! One day I will move there I am determined!

      Delete