Monday 24 October 2016

How to Party in the Oilfield

I took my time getting ready, I wasn't sure what exactly I should wear. My research on the bar we were going to told me it was more of a live music type place, and to be honest I've always been a t shirt and jeans kind of girl. I finally settled on the only fancy tank top I owned and jeans, which if we are being honest the top came from Garage so really it wasn't fancy at all.

Doing my hair and makeup was a whole other feat. I'm not the type of person that usually wears make up, I also have naturally curly hair so it only gets brushed right before I wash it or before I straighten it. Tonight I decided to straighten my hair and I attempted to do a smokey eye. I am honestly the worst when it comes to makeup. My parents had always wanted a boy and I was supposed to be one so I was raised to be as such. It wasn't until last year for my birthday I had suddenly decided I wanted to learn. I had the lady at Shoppers teach me how to do my make up and pick out everything for me. I am still a total and complete fail at doing it but at least I'm trying!

After hours of getting ready and poking myself in the eye a dozen times I was finally ready just in time for Sarah and her boyfriend to barge in and drag me out. I guess I should mention Sarah's boyfriend is my roommates grandson, so them just coming over was a normal thing I guess. We walked out and I immediately knew Brian was part of the small dick club. His truck was lifted so high I needed a boost to get in. I knew of some people who had mud trucks this high, but not their daily driver. Luckily I had my phone to look at and was able to pretend I was laughing at something on there rather than the truck, but I think Sarah knew the smirk on her face sort of gave it away.

We didn't talk on the drive to Sarah's friends house, the loud blaring country music made it impossible to. When we pulled up to the house it wasn't what I was expecting. Carly's house was a trailer on the tiniest lot I had ever seen. The street was lined with more small penis club trucks and spots cars.

"Are all these people here for Carly's birthday?" I asked in shock.

"They sure are! You better have your party pants on tonight Josie!" Sarah yelled at me. She was already buzzin' pretty good.

As we walking into the house I was in for yet another shock. Inside was a haze of smoke. The smoke a mixture of cigarettes and weed. I took a quick look around and saw what I assumed was cocaine on the coffee table and someone smoking while they breast fed a small baby. I could not believe what I had just walked into. I was immediately introduced to people who's names I forgot instantly. My shock was just too overwhelming. I should have just gone home but I honestly didn't know how to get home or what my address was for a cab to come get me, so I was stuck. I sat down in the chair furthest from everything and started drinking my whiskey straight out of the bottle. I needed to get really drunk to be able to handle this mess.

After a while of sitting there by myself a guy in a wheel chair came up to me and started talking to me. He was so incoherent it took me a while to figure out exactly what he was saying.

"Yes I just moved here." I tried to keep my answer to his question short in hopes of him leaving me alone.

"How do you like it?" He slurred

"Fine."

"I'm Carly's boyfriend, I'm not normally in a wheel chair but I broke both heels."

Apparently that was all he needed to start rambling about how exactly he hurt himself. I honestly didn't even listen. All I wanted to do was get drunk and go home. As he rambled on I started people watching. The more I watched the more stunned I became. I witnessed the breast feeding woman smoking more pot, doing shots and lines of what I had now concluded was for sure cocaine. I had never imagined myself at a place like this. I knew people did these sort of things but I wanted to believe so badly that it never ever did. I eventually realized that Carly's boyfriend was asking me a question that required an answer.

"Sorry can you repeat that. I got a little bit lost in thought."

"It's okay it wasn't important anyways. I am used to people not listening to me. Sometimes I don't think Carly even listens to me most days, but I love her you know."

From there he proceeded to tell me all the terrible details of his relationship with Carly. This was by far the most awkward situation I had found myself in. I was trying to find any possible way to get out of it. I took a terrible route and every time there was a break in the conversation where I was expected to say something all I could say is "You can't help who you love." Eventually Sarah must have noticed how uncomfortable I was feeling and told me we were going to the bar now. I breathed a huge sigh of relief. Turns out there was only four of us going out.


 I watched as the lady with the baby hopped into a truck with her very high and drunk boyfriend so that they could go home to put their baby to bed. I should have done something to stop it but never in my life had I been in this situation, I felt like I was in a terrible terrible nightmare. Everyone was acting as if this was normal behavior, but in reality it was absolutely horrendous. I took another swig of my whiskey to realize I was out, going to the bar had come at the best possible time.





4 comments:

  1. Oh man, what a nightmare! I've also had moments where I ask myself "why didn't I do anything/speak up!?!" after-the-fact and it is the worst feeling. Hindsight is definitely 20/20!

    Also, this post is the exact reason I never ride with people out to a bar/party unless I know exactly where we're going or I completely trust the driver. My biggest fear is being stranded somewhere and something bad happens. EEK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is honestly the worst! To this day I kick myself for not saying anything. When I was editing this post to change it from a journal entry to a blog post I felt my anxiety all over again like I was there.

      Delete
  2. Good ol' Alberta class. It's so different from Ontario. But it's beautiful.

    I hope you survived the night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beauty is the only thing that keeps me in this province. I have contemplated a move home many times!

      Delete