Saturday 8 October 2016

First Days

After spending my weekend feeling sorry for myself and wishing I had just stayed in Ontario, it was finally time to start my new job. I was hoping that it would help to change my opinion of my new city. If only I had known what it had in store for me.

I walked into my new work place I felt very on edge. I attributed it to first day jitters, but really a shit storm was headed my way on my very first day. Although the doors were open I saw no one around. I wandered the building until I finally found my roommates family member, Randi, who had gotten me the job.

"Josie, nice to see you finally made it." Randi shouted at me from across the shop

"Yea, I got here a few days ago. Is there anyone else here yet?"

"No not yet. A few more people should be showing up soon though."

"Okay, cool beans."

"Oh just so you know our manager quit last week, so for the time being things are just sort of in the air with who is in charge. Oh look here is Sarah, she is who you will be working directly with."

Sarah was not what I was expecting. Sarah was dark haired, blue eyed and so skinny that she looked like she was going to blow away at any moment. She had so much makeup layered on that I wondered if she even knew what she really looked like under it all. Her resting bitch face was so on point that I don't think anyone would ever approach her, and the cigarette hanging out of her mouth just added to the bitchy vibe I was getting.

"Sarah this is Josie, Josie this is Sarah."

"Hey." I said. I couldn't say anymore without fear of her ripping my head off.

"Hey, lets get this shit show started." And with that we headed off so she could show me what my job was.

The first few hours were boring repetitive things, and neither of us said anything for the longest time. Finally Sarah piped up and sated she was putting on music.

"What sort of music do you listen to? I mostly listen to country so I hope you're ok with that."

" I listen to a lot of different music , but primarily country so you're good."

"Perfect."

The music brought a welcome relief to the awkward silence we had going on. We continued to work and I tried to mostly stay out of the way and figure out the routine that Sarah had. Before I knew it lunch had rolled around. I was introduced to more people and the techs, who I would also be working closely with. A few of the techs were also from the same area of Ontario I was from so we quickly got talking about home and all of our favorite things from there.

"So Josie, what made you move all the way out here?" Max , one of the techs,asked me.

"Well I needed a change, and I have always wanted to live in Alberta so I finally decided now was the time." The lie fell so easily off my lips. It wasn't totally untrue, I have always wanted to live in Alberta, but I was really trying hard to forget everything that could have been.

"I guess that's why we all make our way out here. Sarah here is the only person I know that is actually from here."

"Not true, my parents just moved here when I was young. I'm actually from BC." Sarah piped up finally.

"Well you have been here long enough to say you are from here."

"I guess if that's the way you see it. I'm going for a smoke."

With that everyone left to have a quick smoke before we all went back to work. This left me alone in the lunch room for a bit. I welcomed the few moments I had to myself, being around people for this many hours in a day was weird for me as I had mostly worked alone before.


It wasn't long once we started back at work that the fight broke out. Chris and Randi were in a full on screaming match. I tried hard not to pay attention and just keep my head down. But next thing I knew something was thrown across the shop.

"Lets go out for a smoke." Sarah said

"Sounds like a good plan to me right now."

We hurriedly made our way out back and sat down in the chairs.

"So does this happen all the time?"

"Oh fuck yea it does. This is nothing compared to some of the shit that goes on here. You'll get used to it soon enough."

"Oh boy."

"You got that right. I wouldn't blame you if you quit already. This place wears on the nerves eventually. But you seem pretty chill so I'd rather you stick it out."

" I guess I'll see what the week brings."

Luckily the rest of the week went by without anymore screaming matches... Well at least none that I heard. I was settling in and Sarah and I actually seemed like we were becoming friends. We had most of the same interests and once you got past her standoffish attitude she was actually nice. It also turned out she lived a couple houses down from me, but I was still sort of surprised when on Friday night as we were cleaning up to leave she asked me to come out for her friends birthday the next night.

"Here give me your phone and I'll give you my number. I'll text you what time to be ready. Carly isn't a country girl so we will probably be going to Hatters. So don't dress too countrish." With that she laughed and headed off.



2 comments:

  1. Your blog is fun to read. It's easy to relate to. I am also Canadian and trying the blog thing out. I hope Alberta is treating you well.
    http://heartsmovemountains.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your first post! I can't wait to see where your story goes!

      Delete